Skip to main content

You are viewing information for Australian and NZ students. View international


Master of Engineering Science (Electrical Utility Engineering)

MEngSc(Curtin) - MC-ELUTEN Science and Engineering
Location Bentley
Study method Part-time or full-time
Study mode On-campus
Intake February or July
Duration 1 year full-time

Electrical utility Engineering includes the generation, transmission, distribution and use of electrical energy.

In this course, the research component of a traditional master degree has been replaced by industry-based project work, which you can tie in with your work commitments.

You will study specialised electrical utility topics, including power flow calculations, fault calculation, power quality, power system stability, grids, demand forecasting, computer-aided engineering of power systems and renewable energy.

In this course, you will build practical knowledge and skills through industry relevant course topics, intensive block programs and off-campus resource-based learning.

Entry requirements

Entry requirements for Australian and New Zealand students

You must have a recognised bachelor degree in engineering (electrical engineering) or equivalent degree majoring in electrical power. In addition, proof of employment of at least one year’s experience in the power industry is required.


Fees for Australian and New Zealand students

Year Student type Cost
2016 Domestic fee paying Domestic fee-paying - A domestic fee-paying place is a place at university which is not Commonwealth supported, that is, not subsidised by the Australian Government. Domestic fee paying students will be charged tuition fees and may be eligible for FEE-HELP assistance for all or part of those tuition fees. $26,700*

Fees are indicative first year only.

* Based on a first-year full-time study load of 200 credits. 200 credits are needed to graduate from this course. The total cost will depend on your course options (i.e. units selected and time taken to complete).

Use the Fee Calculator for an estimate of individual unit fees. There may also be some additional costs. For more information, see other fees and charges.

Credit for previous study

Applications for recognition of prior learning (RPL) are assessed on an individual basis. Recognition of prior learning not exceeding two-thirds of the required credits may be granted to a student transferring from another program at a recognised institution with satisfactory completion of equivalent coursework and/or proof of professional training or substantial work experience gained in industry.

Learn about Credit for Recognised Learning (CRL)

More information about Electrical Utility Engineering