Criminal screening

You are required to carry, and produce on request, documented proof of criminal screening during fieldwork.

Information on criminal screening requirements will be provided by your school before commencing fieldwork.

A criminal record does not necessarily preclude you from participating in fieldwork but must be negotiated with your fieldwork host organisation. However, convictions leading to a 12-month imprisonment, or more, for the following crimes are likely to lead to a refusal by a host organisation where placement involves contact with the public. Such crimes include those:

  • of a violent or sexual nature
  • where the victim was under 18 years of age or elderly
  • for dealing or trafficking in drugs
  • involving fraud.

You can obtain confidential advice about this or any other concerns you may have regarding the record check from the following agencies:

  • Head of University Counselling Services at Curtin on +61 8 9266 7850
  • Department of Health (WA) on +61 8 9222 4222
  • Department of Education and Training (WA) on +61 8 9264 4111.

You will be responsible for all costs associated with mandatory screening requirements for fieldwork. The type of clearance you require and its recency will vary depending on the host organisation. Processing times of applications can vary from between two to six weeks. Please check with the relevant organisation (as below) for current costs.

Note: Fieldwork in a clinical setting outside of Western Australia may require additional clearance checks. The onus is on you to obtain this information from your fieldwork host organisation.

Department of Education

A National Police History Check (NPHC) is required by the Department of Education for students undertaking fieldwork in an educational facility in Western Australia. The Department of Education do not accept police clearances or criminal record checks obtained through any other agency.

National Criminal History Record Check

The Department of Health requires a National Criminal History Record Check [.pdf 86.7kB] (NCHRC) before attending fieldwork at any of their sites. A certified copy of a valid National Police Certificate (NPC) (if issued within the past 12 months) can be attached to your application for a NCHRC, which reduces the cost of applying for a NCHRC (as the NPC part of the check will not need to be repeated).

National Police Certificate

A valid National Police Certificate (NPC) may be required to undertake fieldwork in some hosting organisations. If you are not from Western Australia you must apply through your respective state or territory authority.

Note: Some fieldwork host organisations do not accept police checks obtained through ACIC accredited brokers using the National Police Checking Service. While you can request an NPC from a police agency or a broker, the police-issued NPC is on secure paper, while an accredited broker will often only issue a paper certificate. You are therefore strongly advised to obtain an NPC from a police agency in the first instance to reduce the cost of potentially having to reapply to meet host organisation requirements.

Working with Children Check

The Working with Children Check (WWC Check) is a national criminal record check that is compulsory for people who carry out child related work for five days or more in a calendar year in Western Australia and the Indian Ocean Territories. Students may be required to have a WWC Check when engaged in child-related work as part of fieldwork and should only apply when allocated to a child-related placement.