Skip to content
Curtin University
Courses at Curtin

Add this course to my favourites


Indigenous Community Health (Associate Degree)

Associate Degree in Indigenous Community Health - AssocDIndigComHlth(Curtin) - AD-INDCHL

Centre for Aboriginal Studies

Skilled Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health workers are in demand. If you are already working in a health-related position, this course can increase your knowledge and skills to perform more effectively. You can learn the skills required to provide an alternative, inclusive approach to health management that acknowledges Indigenous healing practices.

This course also aims to empower you to become a role model for positive change in Indigenous health through the application of:
• Indigenous knowledge
• primary health care
• health promotion
• community development concepts and practice
• project development, implementation and evaluation.

This course is community-based to allow you to develop your skills in a community setting. Many of our students already work in the Aboriginal health industry and complete most of their study in the workplace.

You will attend four study blocks at the Bentley Campus each year, completing learning contracts between them. Travel and accommodation arrangements are made by our teaching staff and are funded by the Government.

When you complete this course you will be eligible to apply for entry into the third year of the Bachelor of Applied Science (Indigenous Community Health).

Career opportunities

This course can help you become a:

Show me more information

Credit for previous study

If you have previously worked or studied in this field, you are encouraged to contact the Centre for Aboriginal Studies to discuss eligibility for recognition of prior learning.

Learn about Credit for Recognised Learning (CRL).

Full Course Structure

Please refer to the Handbook's full course structure when enrolling.

 Apply now
find out how

Entry requirements:

Indicative TER (ATAR)*: Not applicable
STAT entry*: Not accepted
*What are Indicative TER (ATAR) and STAT Entry?

Indicative TER (ATAR)

This figure provides an indication of the TER (ATAR) normally required to enter this course. It is provided as a guide only.

STAT entry

The Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT) assesses competencies considered important for success at uni. These tests are provided by the Tertiary Institutions Service Centre (TISC) to help mature age candidates apply for certain courses.

Mature age entry:

Discover other ways you can qualify

Other requirements:

Available only to applicants of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent. Education, personal and work experience, existing skills, community, family and employer support are also evaluated. It is preferable that prospective students are working, or prepared to undertake voluntary work in an Aboriginal health or community related position.










2 years full-time

Fees (indicative first year only):

Year Student type Cost
2015 Commonwealth supported What is a Commonwealth supported place (CSP)?
A CSP is subsidised by the Australian Government. They pay part of the course fees directly to Curtin and then the student pays the remainder. The student can defer this fee to their HECS-HELP loan.

All Australian students studying an undergraduate degree are automatically awarded a Commonwealth supported place.

Learn more about CSPs and whether you're eligible by visiting the Australian Government's StudyAssist website.

*The indicative first-year fee is calculated on 200 credit points, which is the typical full-time study load per year, however some courses require additional study to be completed, in which case the fee will be higher than that shown.

This fee is a guide only. It may vary depending on the units you choose and do not include incidental fees (such as lab coats or art supplies) or the cost of your textbooks - visit other fees and charges for more information. For more information on fees and to determine your eligibility for HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP, please visit fee basics or the Study Assist website

If you're not an Australian citizen, permanent resident or New Zealand citizen, please see information for international students.

Other notes:

Available by block release only.