Applied Geology and Environmental Biology Double Degree
|Guaranteed ATAR||70 This is the ATAR level at which an offer of admission is guaranteed, subject to any other non-ATAR criteria being met.|
|Study method||Full-time or part-time|
|Intake||February or July|
|Duration||4 years full time|
Geologists provide knowledge of geological and biological principles required for management of both living and non-living resources. You’ll develop introductory geology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, statistics and communication and computer skills. You’ll explore the fundamental skills of applied geology, such as mineral and petroleum exploration, hydrogeology, environmental geochemistry and engineering geology. You’ll develop fundamental skills with a detailed knowledge needed to understand geological processes and materials.
Environmental biology incorporates the study and conservation of the environment. The work of biologists often incorporates industries with potential for growth such as plant breeding, aquaculture and environment restoration.
In this double degree, you will be provided with the fundamental skills required to understand geological processes and materials with a central role in the search for and extraction of minerals. The environmental biology component has a broad and practical approach to biology. Your studies will have a strong practical emphasis, enabling you to undertake work with members of the wider community.
High achieving students may complete an additional honours year enabling them to undertake their own significant research project.
In addition to the course-specific admission criteria listed below, please read our general admission criteria. Our general admission criteria apply to all courses at Curtin University.
Admission criteria for Australian and New Zealand students
Guaranteed ATAR This is the ATAR level at which an offer of admission is guaranteed, subject to any other non-ATAR criteria being met.
STAT entry STAT entry - The Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT) assesses competencies considered important for success at uni. These tests are provided by the Tertiary Institutions Service Centre (TISC) to help mature age candidates apply for certain courses.
Written English, Verbal and Quantitative
Please see our correlation comparability for previous TEE subjects, WACE courses and WACE ATAR courses.
Details of the types of ‘bonus points’ commonly available to applicants can be found on our StepUp to Curtin page.
ATAR and selection rank profile for those offered places wholly or partly on the basis of ATAR in the most recent intake period
View data on the ATAR and selection rank profile of offers made from the most recent intake period.
Mature age entry
Essential WACE courses
- At least Mathematics: Applications ATAR and one ATAR science course, or equivalent.
English language proficiency
|IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System)|
|Overall band score||6.5|
Other qualifications may also satisfy our English language admission criteria. Please view our English language requirements page to find out more.
STAT applicants may be required to meet entry prerequisites by completing enabling units. This may extend the duration of your studies.
Fees for Australian and New Zealand students
Unfortunately fee information is not available for this course at this time. Please check out our Fee Calculator for an estimation of course fees.
The requirements of this course may attract additional costs. For more information visit other fees and charges.
Graduates of the undergraduate degree in Applied Geology are eligible for membership of the Australian Institute of Geoscientists, the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy and the Geological Society of Australia. The degree has been accredited by the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy. Graduates are also eligible for Associate Membership of the Australian Institute of Biology and the Environment Institute of Australia. Full membership becomes possible for graduates with honours or pass degrees after three or four years of professional practice.
If you have previously worked or studied in this field, you are encouraged to contact the faculty to discuss your eligibility for recognition of prior learning (RPL).
This course can help you become a:
- Environmental Scientist
- Geological Engineer
- Forest Worker
- Life Scientist
- Our future depends on us understanding the biological basis of our life-support systems. Although technologists and engineers will solve many of the problems that confront us, we need well-trained biologists to solve issues such as food production, population regulation, landcare, pollution and conservation of our biodiversity.
- Our biology students are well equipped for this task, as they gain a thorough understanding of biological principles and practices, obtained through a practical, hands-on approach involving plenty of fieldwork.
- Our Environmental Biology department is highly regarded in the international environmental community and is renowned for its excellent teaching and research reputation, plus its friendly interaction with its students.
- This is a hands-on, practical course with direct industry involvement.
- This comprehensive course qualifies graduates for all major geology careers.
- We offer a range of relevant double degree options with enhanced career options.
View our student profile table to get an indication of the likely peer cohort for new students at Curtin University. This table provides data on students that commenced undergraduate study and passed the census date in the most relevant recent intake period for which data are available. It includes those admitted through all offer rounds and international students studying in Australia.
- More about studying at Curtin
- Visit the WA Tertiary Institutions Service Centre (TISC) website
- Visit the Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) website
- Visit the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA) website
- Our admission appeals and grievance process
Applicants applying with an International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma
Applicants with other international qualifications
Find information on what qualifications you can use to apply for a Curtin course.