Skip to main content

You are viewing information for Australian and NZ students. View international



Bachelor of Arts (Humanities) - BA(Curtin) - MJRU-JAPAN Humanities
Indicative ATAR 70 Indicative TER (ATAR) - This figure provides an indication of the TER (ATAR) normally required to enter this course. It is provided as a guide only.
Location Bentley
Study method Full-time or part-time
Study mode On-campus
Intake February or July
Duration 3 years full-time

Course overview

Japan is an important trade partner for Australia and is a gateway to other Asian nations.

Knowledge of the Japanese language and culture prepares you to work in Asia and Australia

This major is designed to provide you with a high level of literacy in the Japanese language as well as an understanding of Japanese culture. This allows you to explore career opportunities in Japan and bilingual job opportunities in Australia and overseas.

No previous study of the language is required. Students who have previously studied Japanese will take more advanced classes. The teaching methods that are applied to both spoken and written language use the latest technology (computer-assisted learning and the internet) and cultural awareness activities.

Asia is diverse, rapidly changing and full of opportunities. These majors will ensure you are prepared for your future career.

Japanese is offered as part of the Bachelor of Arts. You can enhance your studies with a secondary major or choose from a range of elective units to support your career goals.

You can study this major as part of a Science and Arts double degree.

See the Courses Handbook for the structure of this part of the double degree.

You can study this as part of a double major:

*Please note not all majors are offered online

High achieving students may complete an additional honours year enabling them to undertake their own significant research project.

Entry requirements

Entry requirements for Australian and New Zealand students

Indicative TER (ATAR) Indicative TER (ATAR) - This figure provides an indication of the TER (ATAR) normally required to enter this course. It is provided as a guide only.


STAT entry STAT entry - The Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT) assesses competencies considered important for success at uni. These tests are provided by the Tertiary Institutions Service Centre (TISC) to help mature age candidates apply for certain courses.

Written English and either MC Verbal or Quantitative

Please see our correlation comparability for previous TEE subjects, WACE courses and WACE ATAR courses.

Mature age entry

Discover other ways you can qualify

Essential WACE courses

English ATAR, Literature ATAR or English as an Additional Language/Dialect ATAR

TAFE requirements

A TAFE certificate IV and evidence of English competency or a TAFE diploma.


Fees for Australian and New Zealand students

Year Student type Cost
2017 Commonwealth supported What is a Commonwealth supported place (CSP)? - A CSP is subsidised by the Australian Government. They pay part of the course fees directly to Curtin and then the student pays the remainder. The student can defer this fee to their HECS-HELP loan.

All Australian students studying an undergraduate degree are automatically awarded a Commonwealth supported place.

Learn more about CSPs and whether you're eligible by visiting the Australian Government's StudyAssist website.

Fees are indicative first year only.

*The indicative first-year fee is calculated on 200 credit points, which is the typical full-time study load per year, however some courses require additional study to be completed, in which case the fee will be higher than that shown.

This fee is a guide only. It may vary depending on the units you choose and do not include incidental fees (such as lab coats or art supplies) or the cost of your textbooks - visit other fees and charges for more information. For more information on fees and to determine your eligibility for HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP, please visit fee basics or the Study Assist website

If you're not an Australian citizen, permanent resident or New Zealand citizen, please see information for international students.

Career opportunities

This course can help you become a:

  • Hotel or Motel Manager
  • Foreign Affairs and Trade Officer
  • Interpreter
  • Translator
  • Flight Attendant
  • Trade Measurement Officer
  • Tourist Information Officer

You may also find work in:

  • international trade
  • banking and finance
  • mining
  • non-governmental organisations
  • tourism
  • diplomacy
  • media
  • education.

Possible careers

Careers in the financial industry

If you wish to pursue a finance or business-related career you are encouraged to complete a double major or select electives from the following areas of study:

Careers in the public service

If you plan to pursue a career in the public service you are encouraged to complete a double major or select electives from the following areas of study:


If you wish to become a teacher you are encouraged to complete a double degree, double major or select elective units from the following areas of study:

Note: You will need to complete either a double degree with Secondary Education or a one-year Graduate Diploma in Education (Secondary Education) after the completion of your Bachelor of Arts to become a qualified teacher.

Why Japanese?

  • You can learn to speak an Asian language, which may improve your career opportunities.
  • You can advance your intercultural skills, which are becoming increasingly important in today's global economy.
  • You can study abroad and experience Japan for three weeks or a semester through an exchange program with one of our partner universities. You can also explore the language and cultural aspects to Japanese popular culture, such as Japanese ‘anime’, inventions and J-pop.